State government is going against the driving ban in Frankfurt

The black-green state government in Hesse, defends itself against the threat of a ban on older diesel cars in Frankfurt. The ban could affect, according to a media report, two-thirds of the line buses.


Hesse wants to prevent a looming diesel driving ban in Frankfurt am Main. The state government appeals against a ruling by the Wiesbaden administrative court. The Prime Minister Volker Bouffier (CDU) and environmental Minister Priska Hinz (Green) announced on Wednesday.

According to the court decision, large parts of the city are for older cars of 2019 taboo. The German environmental aid (DUH) had complained because of the Exceedance of nitrogen oxide threshold values. The judgment is not yet final.

A quarter of the Frankfurt-registered cars are affected

The decision to call for significant restrictions for drivers of the affected vehicles, said Bouffier, and Hinz. “A reduction of air pollution by noxious oxides of nitrogen is also essential for us”, – stated in the message.

However, the country consider the implications for the affected vehicles due to a possible ban on driving in Frankfurt, for “not acceptable”. A possible driving ban going to strain a quarter of the Frankfurt-registered car, and a number of commuters or visitors from the surrounding area. This was disproportionate.

With the planned measures for air pollution control such as the use of electric buses, the Development of better Cycling networks, Park-and-Ride, and a converted diesel vehicles is “practically the same effect”, explained Offered Bouffier and Hinz. They called on the Federal government again, the basis for Hardware retrofits of diesel vehicles. The Federal Minister of transport, Andreas Scheuer (CSU) rejects the so far.

Head of the traffic Department: traffic ban also applies to the line buses

Of the judgment are affected from February 2019 to diesel vehicles with Euro 4 engines as well as gasoline, the pollutant classes 1 and 2. 1. September, also Euro 5-Diesel off-limits.

Not in the city centre, two-thirds of the used buses is likely to continue, according to a newspaper report. You would have to be replaced or retrofitted, such as the “Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung” reported. According to the Frankfurt’s Traffic Minister Klaus Oesterling (SPD) would be the cost of a retrofit, according to initial estimates, around four million euros. Only about 110 of the 340 buses, the Euro 6 emission standard fulfilled.

In the area where it is prohibited, specifically, driving to come before the court, is not binding. The driving ban could follow the existing boundaries of the environmental zone in the state of Hesse’s largest municipality, said the judge. This is bounded by the motorway ring around the city.

nis/dpa/afp

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.